Changes to PBIâ€™s
As many of you know there was an issue with PBIâ€™s causing them to freeze at random times during use. Kris went into full-blown hermit programmer mode to track down the issue and youâ€™ll be glad to know a fix was committed that addresses this issue. Kris said of the fix: â€œitâ€™s faster, cleaner, and allows proper access to all of the filesystem data. It can even be used by FreeBSD users who want to run different sets of packages in a location other than /usr/localâ€�. To test out the new changes you will want to rebuild the pbi-manager backend. For those of you that may not know the pbi-manager utility is a backend that you never see, but is always there managing system interactions when running PBIâ€™s. Follow the instructions below to grab the pc-bsd source and rebuild the pbi-manager to apply the fix.
1. Open a new terminal and paste: git clone https://github.com/pcbsd/pcbsd.git
This will create a directory for the PC-BSD source code
2. type: cd pcbsd/src-sh/pbi-manager/
This will browse directly to the pbi-manager source directory
3. type: sudo make install
4. Restart your system
And youâ€™ve done it! Donâ€™t forget to reset your system! PBIâ€™s will not work until the system is reset. For more information, questions, or thoughts please post below.
Changes to Life Preserver
Life preserver has been updated to bring in some exciting new changes. New automatic snapshot schedules have been added along with new replication schedule options that will allow users more flexibility and control over their Life Preserver snapshot schedules (i.e. Hourly, 30 minutes, 10 minutes). New code has been added to allow the user to change the pop-up notification policy (all, only errors, none). A minor bug was also fixed that was causing non-error messages in the â€œMessageâ€� dialog.
Unifying PC-BSD Utility Chain
Work is continuing on standardizing the PC-BSD utility chain. More information has been added @ (http://wiki.pcbsd.org/index.php/Become_a_Developer/10.1). The changes will also bring in some new keyboard accessibility through hot keys and shortcut keys. There are currently several opportunities available to help update the tool chain, so if youâ€™d like to lend a hand please let us know!
Important changes to Appcafe and PCDM (Release Notes)
* Finish overhaul of the UI
* Add ability to email the port maintainer
* Add right-click action shortcuts for individual applications
* Add new browser home page with recommended applications
* Move the category browser to a seperate page
* Add ability to install custom PBIâ€™s from your system via File->Add PBI (no internet/repository required)
* General improvements/bugfixes to the backend functions
* Fix backend detection of LDAP/Active Directory users (still needs verification/testing by people with this special type of setup)
* Add option to show an auto-login delay (in which time the user can cancel the auto-login if necessary)
* Add option to disable showing the system users and require that the username also have to be typed in.
Login Manager Configuration Utility (pc-dmconf)
* Update to reflect the new PCDM configuration options
* Fix a bug where a blank auto-login username could be set