…just to make room for another one. :) Yeah, it can be funny, and useful, to write about development stuff! Here’s the first news: Qt 4.7 Technology Preview has just landed on KDE’s area51. If you’re thinking about helping us, you’re welcome. And you can follow the instructions below.
- Head to http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/KDE4/QT4 and have some good reading.
- Checkout the branch from area51:
$ svn co http://area51.pcbsd.org/branches/qt-4.7tp.
- Checkout the *merge scripts:
$ svn co http://area51.pcbsd.org/trunk/area51/Tools; use them to merge your ports tree with area51 (CAUTION: do you really want to do this outside of a jail?):
# PORTSDIR=$ports_directory KDEDIR=$qt47_directory ./Tools/scripts/qtmerge.
- Choose a port (with an eye on the table in the wiki) and test it: e.g.
# cd $ports_directory/graphics/qt4-svg && make install.
- Fix what’s broken (build errors, configuration problems, plists…) and make a patch: e.g.
$ cd $qt47_directory/graphics/qt4-svg && svn diff > ~/qt4-svg.diff; send it to [email protected].
You MUST understand the risks in doing such testing in your environment (and not in a jail): do not try to replace Qt 4.6 with this to make your shiny KDE go faster, because you could break anything. Forewarned is forearmed. ;)