Thanks to everyone that helped. Especially Andrew, Tim, and Daniel.
The commit is here: https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/pull/338
I attended LISA in Boston last week and was able to talk to a few of the Puppet developers. This reminded me I needed to push this patch upstream.
I opened a ticket in the Puppet Bug tracker, 11318. Then I found out that someone by the nick of tdb had already incorporated our changes into another pull request that adds more functionality and some unit tests. So hopefully this will be committed soon and we can have this support upstream.
I just wanted to thank tdb for taking this work and running with it!