The PC-BSD team is pleased to announce the availability of RC1 images for the upcoming quarterly 10.1.2 release. Please test these images out and report any issues found on our bug tracker.
What else is new in PC-BSD 10.1.2? How about a new version of the Lumina Desktop Environment! PC-BSD users who stick to the “Production” branch of packages will find that the Lumina desktop has evolved/improved an incredible amount since the last quarterly update for PC-BSD (10.1.1), so I highly recommend that you try it out! The release notes for this new version are also listed at the bottom of this announcement for those of you who have been tracking along with its development, so please try it out and let us know what you think!
PC-BSD 10.1.2 notable Changes
- New PersonaCrypt Utility
- Allows moving all of users $HOME directory to an encrypted USB Drive. This drive can be connected at login, and used across different systems
- Stealth Mode — Allows login to a blank $HOME directory, which is encrypted with a one-time GELI key. This $HOME directory is then discarded at logout, or rendered unreadable after a reboot
- Tor mode — Switch firewall to running transparent proxy, blocking all traffic except what is routed through Tor.
- Migrated to IPFW firewall for enabling VIMAGE in 10.2
- Added sound configuration via the first boot utility
- Support for encrypted iSCSI backups via Life-Preserver, including support for bare-metal restores via installer media
- New HTML handbook, updated via normal package updates
- Media Center support allowing direct login to Kodi and PlexHomeTheater for the 10ft user experience
- Switch to new AppCafe interface, with remote support via web-browser
- Improvements to Online Updater, along with GRUB nested menus for Boot-Environments
- Migrate all ports to using LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL
- Switch from NTP to OpenNTPD
- Lumina desktop 0.8.4
- Chromium 42.0.2311.90
- Firefox 37.0.2
- NVIDIA Driver 346.47
- Pkg 1.5.1 Updating
- Users currently running the EDGE package repo can now update their packages via the updater GUI or “pc-updatemanager” utility to be brought up to date with RC1. Updates for users on the 10.1.1 / PRODUCTION repo will be available once 10.1.2-RELEASE is announced.
- 10.1.2-RC1 DVD/USB media can be downloaded from the following URL via HTTP or Torrent. http://download.pcbsd.org/iso/10.1-RELEASE/edge/amd64/
- Found a bug in PC-BSD 10.1.2 or Lumina 0.8.4? Please report it (with as much detail as possible) to our bugs database. https://bugs.pcbsd.org
Lumina Desktop changes since version 0.8.3:
- Add mouse tracking support
- Add support for variable-length panels (a percentage of the screen edge length).
- Add support for pinning the panel to a particular location on the screen edge (either corner, or centered)
- Automatically re-scale the panel size if the monitor used in the previous session was a different screen resolution.
- For hidden panels, have 1% of the panel size be visible on the screen while it is “hidden” (rather than a hard-coded pixel size). This is better for high-resolution screens.
- Remove the restriction that panels be on opposite screen edges.
New options/usage for lumina-search:
- Easily change file/dir search preferences on a temporary basis
- New command-line flags for starting searches instantly
- Search functionality integrated into the Insight file manager. The Ctrl-F keyboard shortcut or the “Search” menu option will start a search for a file/directory with the current directory as the starting point.
- A “Search” button has been added to the home directory browser in the user menu. This will allow the user to easily start searching for a file/dir within the selected directory.
New “Favorites” system backend:
- This new backend is much faster and more reliable than the old system of sym-links.
- Your favorites should be automatically converted to the new format when you log into the new version of Lumina.
New Utility: lumina-fileinfo
- This utility allows the user to view basic file information, such as timestamps, owner/group info, file size, and read/write permissions.
- If the file is a XDG desktop shortcut (that the user has permission to modify), this utility also provides the ability to make changes to that shortcut.
- This can easily be used by right-clicking on files in the desktop view plugin or within the Insight file manager and selecting the “Properties” option.
- A big thank you to contributor William (william-os4y on GitHub) for writing this utility!!
Other Random Improvements:
- Better application recommendations for files/URL’s (especially for web browsers or email clients).
- Major cleanup of XCB library usage.
- Hardware-brightness controls now used for PC-BSD by default (if supported by the system hardware).
- Putting the system into the suspend state is now supported for PC-BSD/Debian.
- New clock display formats.
- A large number of session cleanup improvements
- A large number of session initialization improvements (including resetting the user’s previous screen brightness and audio volume settings).
- New default keyboard shortcuts for tiling the open windows on the screen (new user configurations only)
- Better support for the URL input format when required by an application.
- Make the user’s “log out” window appear much faster when activated.
- There is a known bug in Lumina 0.8.4 regarding “unlocked” desktop plugins. The close/maximize buttons for the plugin are unresponsive when using Qt 5.4.1, preventing the user from easily removing/maximizing a desktop plugin. We are still looking into this, but at the moment it appears to be a bug in Qt itself. As a temporary workaround, you can simply right-click on the titlebar for the unlocked plugin and select close/maximize from the menu instead.