Archive for the ‘FreeBSD’ Category

Some more reports and documentation

Monday, September 15th, 2008

I’m continuing to do some maintenance on the weekly PR emails, and the new prototype PR pages. The former are having their formatting fixed up and the boilerplate removed. The latter has been rewritten to group the reports by commnity of interest, and has also added PRs that have been modified in the last day/week/month; PR count by assignee; and latest commit by assignee.

In addition, the main pointyhat erorrlog page is now much more readable. A bugfix there has also helped portsmon get back up to date.

Finally, I’ve completely rewritten my home page on freefall, so that you can find the various projects that I am working on (including the above), the presentations that I have done at various BSDCan and EuroBSDCon conferences.

The return of the FreeBSD QA/release cycle graphs

Wednesday, September 10th, 2008

I finally got around to updating these after having let them gather dust for a while. These include bar charts showing the time periods that various releases were being worked on (QA = Quality Assurance) and were supported by the FreeBSD security team. The dates for 6.4, 7.1, and beyond are all “best-guess”.

I find the graphs much easier to understand than the text-format descriptions in various emails.

The data are up at schedule.html.

Bugbusting: good news and bad news

Thursday, July 3rd, 2008

There is good news, and bad news, on the bugbusting front.

I think we have made good progress on the state of the PR database recently. In particular, with the help of our recent volunteers attractedby the Bugathons, we have been able to filter the backlog, identifying the majority of the PRs by what manpage they are correlated with (for kern/ PRs, primarily sections 3, 4, and 8 via ‘tags'; for bin/ PRs, primarily sections 1 and 8). There are now prototypes of HTML reports that reports corresponding to each of these. (They are not yet interactive; they run once per day on freefall). Also, all the PRs with patches are now tagged by ‘[patch]’, and there is an HTML report for those, too. There are over a thousand of these, representing a significant percentage of the database.

In addition, we have added pages to list a highly-filtered set of a few dozen PRs that we think are ready-to-go, and another set of PRs that are the most-commonly-seen set.

Further, by request, we have added some scripts on freefall to allow a committer to pick a random PR to look at.

(I consider all of this work to be effective prototypes of pages that we would need to customize for any PR system. I have seen nothing yet that supports exactly what FreeBSD needs, out-of-the-box.)

(fwiw, most of this has been by suggestion, from either our new bugbusters, or src committers.)

Finally, many of the “I do not know how to make xyz work” PRs have been either closed, or are being handled by the new volunteers.

I have advertised all of this work on the wiki (including the relevant hrefs) on, and by announcements on the freebsd-bugbusters IRC and mailing lists, as well as selected cross-posting to other mailing lists.

So, what’s the problem?

Well …

This has resulted in only a handful of src commits.

Apparently I haven’t figured out how to get the src committers sufficiently interested to investigate these pages. I have gotten very little emailed feedback, and few committers showed up for the last bugathon.

So, the challenge is to keep our bugbusters interested in doing the triage work. IMHO, to keep the momentum that has been built up, we need to start getting some commits in.

Unfortunately, I do not seem to have the right ideas in place to make that happen. This is very frustrating.

I would be interested in getting suggestions on where to go from here. I am clearly missing something.

A week for documentation

Wednesday, June 18th, 2008

Productive week-and-a-half. I’ve done a brain-dump on the state of the FreeBSD systems at ISC, helped Brad Davis walk through the tasks that I wasn’t able to complete before I left there (thanks, Brad!), summarized and documented the last few months’ worth of discussion and ideas about BugBusting on the wiki (nearly a complete rewrite), created another new GNATS report that classifies bin/ and other PRs by manpage, helped generate a way for people to help work on sparc64, and told portsmon that RELENG_5 and ia64 were no longer relevant.

At this rate maybe I will catch up one of these years …

FWIW, if you have not seen the new GNATS reports, they are here; if you have not read my BSDCan paper about FreeBSD Bugbusting: Where We Are, Where We Ought To Be, you might want to do that as well.

These are the things that have been keeping me busy for a while.  If I haven’t responded to your email, that’s probably why.