Tom's FreeBSD blog

December 1, 2008

Verizon FIOS Actiontec MI424WR and multiple subnets

Filed under: FIOS — tmclaugh @ 11:12 pm

I have Verizon FIOS for internet service and I have a roommate.

13 Comments

1. This helped me out alot, but I’ve got question. I need to do the same thing with a Dlink DIR-655. Right now I can only see one way. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment by tony — December 8, 2008 @ 3:49 pm

2. Unfortunately I’ve never seen the Dlink router before. If it has the same web interface you should be good. If not, I wouldn’t know.

Comment by tmclaugh — December 8, 2008 @ 8:41 pm

3. Thanks anyway!

Comment by tony — December 10, 2008 @ 10:39 am

4. Follow your conversation. Why is the gateway address 192.168.1.253 ?
    Have you fixed the gateway address to 253.

Comment by scott — December 23, 2008 @ 10:33 am

5. wonderful guide. thanks! Couldn’t get it to work though. In my situation I have the physical network on 192.168.2.1 and I have a d-link WAP which has a static IP out of the box set to 192.168.0.50. The install guide wants me to change the setup PC to the same subnet and physically connect the two things to each other and then change the IP of the WAP to whatever I want. I was hoping that twiddling with the ActionTec settings would let me avoid that. You guide seems like it should work but, alas…

Comment by Art — January 11, 2009 @ 11:30 pm

6. Awesome, this is exactly the answer I needed to solve my VPN routing issues.

Comment by Matthew — January 22, 2009 @ 7:20 pm

7. Thanks! I can now go back to a routed vpn rather than bridged. I thought for a while that the actiontec was incapble of rerouting packets back out through the same interface similar to cisco pix but this works great.

Comment by Simon — February 5, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

8. Hey I saw this and had a question:

Were you able to get out to the internet from your remote subnet? The problem I am having right now is that the Actiontec router will not NAT my traffic from the inside network.

In your example the inside network would be 192.168.2.0/24. The Actiontec network to the Router is 192.168.1.0/24.

I can log into the Actiontec and reach things on the inside and I can even put my PC on the 192.168.1.0/24 network and print to my HP Network printer on the 192.168.2.0/24 network.

The problem I am having is the outbound NAT is being blocked. I get the:

Blocked – NAT out failed

Message. I don’t see anywhere in the Actiontech where I can verify that my 192.168.2.0/24 network is permitted to be NAT’d out to the internet.

(Yes this is 100% a problem with traffic going through the Actiontec- yes routing from the Actiontec to the inside subnet works fine it appears to be a NAT issue)

Comment by Frank — March 7, 2009 @ 4:21 pm

9. I have the exact same problem as Frank describes.

I can get between subnets internally, but the inside subnet (behind the the wireless client) on 192.268.2.0/24 won’t make it to the Internet.

I’m not seeing the blocked NAT out failed message in the security logs, but it sure seems like a NAt issue.

Comment by Ike — April 4, 2009 @ 1:00 am

10. can now go back to a routed vpn rather than bridged. Thanl you

Comment by Jigar soni — June 13, 2009 @ 8:18 pm

11. I’m having the same problem as Frank and Ike. Anyone make any progress with this? I’d rather not go ahead and put the router into bridge mode.

Comment by Ben — August 3, 2009 @ 11:49 am

12. Do you have the images relating to the blog. I would like to subnet my actiontec.

Comment by Ken — March 13, 2010 @ 10:06 am

13. The images look to have been lost unfortunately. They’re listed in wordpress but the files are missing. Sorry about that.

Comment by tmclaugh — March 13, 2010 @ 3:38 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress