I’ve just updated amarok to version 1.4.1 – a few things..
libvisual – no longer supported.
As of now amarok only supports libvisual-0.4 – and (for the moment) we only have 0.2 in the tree. I think markus@ is working on updating it.
libtunepimp was updated to 0.5 – and if installed on your system, it will break the amarok build. You should install audio/libtunepimp-old instead.
One of the cooler things with this update, is the function to play last.fm streams – it works nicely.
Also, ATF (Advanced Tag Features) – still on an early rollout, but an interesting feature.
I finally managed to get audio/amarok updated to 1.4.0a – it was a pain to get it to build, especially on 4.x which required no less than 13 patches.. sheeesh..
Obviously, I got a mail from the amarok developers 2 hours before the commit, telling me that they just released 1.4.1 – typical…
So I guess the circle begins again.
Btw, still no gstreamer support, so I guess we’ll have to make do with xine for a little while longer..
Anyway, if you use amarok – then go update..
Acutally managed to close a handful of PRs this week.. Haven’t done that in a while – time have only permitted for me to work on my own ports…
Still have some big issues with the amaroK port. I spoke to the amaroK developers and nothing indicates the upcoming 1.4.1 release will have gstreamer support – and I’m still uncertain whether or not I should commit the 1.4.0a update. Some testers say it works fine, and some says it’s buggy.. God, I dislike the xine engine.. though it seems almost stable when disabling crossfading.
A solution could be to repocopy the current amarok port, and have both 1.3.9 and 1.4.0a in the tree.. that would leave it up to each to decide whether they want to deal with xine..
If anyone have some words of wisdom on this matter, I’m all ears !
One cool thing with 1.4.0a is the support for iPod.. I just tried it out yesterday, and it works beautifully – also the support for CUE files..
Got myself a BSD blogpot.. (Thanks flz and erwin)..
I will try and squeeze in some time in my already overbooked schedule to write about my FreeBSD related work..
Currently I am working on the audio/amarok port.. amaroK was updated to 1.4 a week ago or so, with loads of new functionality and changes.. They ripped out most of the engine support (like arts, aKode and gstreamer) and left us with support for xine, nmm and helix.. unfortunately only xine is available on FreeBSD.. Though I saw thierry@ made a preliminary version of the helixplayer port for FreeBSD – to be investigated.
Oh well, I guess that’s it for now..